Thursday, March 24, 2011

Video Bio: Next "Must Have" for Job Seekers?

One of my IMC Professors, Dr. Linda Showers, passed along this article to me today, which discussed the intriguing topic regarding video bios. Personally, I can see this aspect of telling your story becoming an essential for all college students who are actively searching for jobs. If students keep the videos to strictly a bio, instead of a video resume, it has potential to be the next expected standard for job candidates.

I can remember when I created my LinkedIn profile a couple of years ago, I thought to myself, "I honestly don't see how this will help me network and find people and jobs," granted, I was not too familiar with how LinkedIn worked, and it wasn't too popular at the time. But LinkedIn caught on BIG TIME and became an absolute must-have for all professionals. This video bio option has the potential to really catch on, set individuals apart from the crowd, and be a necessity in one's job search.

Advantages:
• It gives employers a glimpse of your personality
• You can elaborate on your personal story, which can't be told in a cover letter or resume
• Has the potential to build your brand/image and set yourself apart from others

Disadvantages
• Videos are staged
• They could seem fake or artificial
• If they feature poor video or production quality, it could hurt your brand

Overall, *if the production quality is professional,* and the individual isn't over-top-fake or cheesy, I'd say go for it! Set yourself apart! I might just have to look into this and have a professional video bio made. What do you think?





No comments:

Post a Comment