Monday, March 28, 2011

Your Content Used for Ads on Facebook?

I just came across an article that discusses how Facebook is testing a new ad system that uses content, status updates, and posts of current users for advertisements. For example, I "like" Breckenridge Ski Resort on Facebook. Lets say that I make a status that tags Breckenridge and explains how much fun I had there this season, or I post something on their wall about how I love their resort. That content, based on this new ad system, could be used as an advertisement for that company. This will take advertising to the next level. These statements are more or less testimonials, and are extremely effective since word-of-mouth and beliefs of people in our network are some of the most important factors consumers consider before trying/buying a product or service.

But will this cause problems? Perhaps. I can see people strictly making posts about things just to get their 15 seconds of fame. Another aspect that could be an issue is that some people might not want others to see their opinions about specific products or services. Plus, some individuals will naturally be concerned with privacy issues. Regardless, it will be interesting to see how Facebook's new ad system works out. It is anticipated to raise over $2 billion in ad revenue. What are your thoughts?




No comments:

Post a Comment