Sunday, April 3, 2011

Dress to Impress

"The clothes make the man." If you are not familiar with Illinois State University's dress code for marketing majors, you can get all the information you could ever want here. Long story short, all marketing students at ISU are required to come to class in business casual attire. Some people have mixed feelings about this mandated effort, but personally, I am all for it! I can honestly say that I feel more professional, productive, and well-mannered when I am in the State Farm Hall of Business in my required "neatly pressed shirt and slacks." There is just something about being professionally dressed in an outstanding building that makes me feel good about myself and my major. Everybody on campus knows that if they see a person dressed up in business casual attire, its a marketing student. I love everything about that, because people look at me and recognize me as a professional. Upon graduating and obtaining a full-time job, we will have to dress up and look our best, so why not start early and get used to carrying yourself as a clean-cut professional?

I think that the marketing department made a great choice in enforcing this dress code because it builds and improves the university's image. ISU and the College of Business has made some great strides in the recent past, becoming number 93 out of the top 100 business schools in the country. Overall, I think that the dress code enforced by the marketing department makes the students improve their image, professional demeanor, productivity, and grades. Do you think that more universities will adopt a dress code like this?



2 comments:

  1. Hi John,

    I commend you on your work with this blog. As a recent graduate from ISU, I can contest to the benefits of this professional dress code. My only recommendation would be for students to take it more seriously. It seems that you have the right perspective on it; use the dress code as an opportunity to adjust to professional life, and possible squeeze a few new outfits out of mom and dad! A note to all students, real life can hit you hard if you are not prepared. Soak up all experience you can while in college and look at every challenge as an opportunity to advance your professional career.

    Best of luck to you. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the transition to the professional world.

    Warm regards,
    Katie Shaykin
    Katie.Shaykin@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm this is interesting, I've never heard of a specific major having to dress up for classes. I think its a great idea though! It is great practice to develop professionalism - practice makes perfect! Good post.

    -Tim

    ReplyDelete