Wednesday, April 6, 2011

QR Codes

Scan code to go to my LinkedIn page
Yes, I'm talking about those weird 2-D barcodes that have a bunch of little squares put together. When you scan these barcodes with a smartphone, you will receive a transfer of information, whether it be a virtual business card, a website, a video, a picture, or any other type of engaging content.

The marketing purpose for QR codes is to involve the consumer to take initiative and scan your code. I know the Android market has multiple free applications that will help you scan the QR codes to obtain content and I'm sure the iPhone does as well. Most of these codes can be found on billboards, business cards, in-store displays, and even t-shirts!

Personally, I have never seen a QR code when I'm out and about, but that doesn't mean people aren't utilizing them. These codes were actually developed in 1994, but have just caught on in recent years due to the creativity and engaging aspects of marketing campaigns. With viral and guerrilla marketing becoming more commonly used practices, consumers might be seeing more and more of theses codes. The creativity with these codes is basically limitless and I personally believe that companies can reach customers and get them involved in their campaigns. Consumers don't want messages and ads shoved down their throat, they want to participate in them. These QR codes are a perfect segue into making that happen, especially if they offer valuable content to the consumer (product/service information, a cool picture or video, promotional coupon, etc.).





2 comments:

  1. Hey John,

    It's so funny because just today I was on the train and saw one of the banner ads with a QR that said "Scan for more info" It was kind of cool but it made me wonder how many people were actually going to stand on their seat with their phone on a crowded CTA car to scan it? It seems like this technology would be better suited for more personal or accessible use like in magazines, or mailings.
    Thoughts?

    -Katie M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Katie! I think the reason that I've never seen these codes is because I am going to school at ISU down in Normal, IL. So there's not a whole lot going on down here haha but I think you make a great point about how nobody would scan a QR code in a crowded train. I couldn't agree more with what you said.

    I feel like these codes would be effective in magazines, in-store displays, on the back of a business card, on direct mail pieces, fliers, through text message marketing, or any other kind of medium that offers a more personalized feel like you mentioned. Thanks again for your insight, Katie!

    ReplyDelete